Note: for a downloadable PDF or MS Word version of the application see the bottom of the page.
BACKGROUND. In 1970 the Red River Valley Fighter Pilots Association (RRVA) initiated a Scholarship Program with the objective of "taking care of our own." Since its inception through fall 2015, the program has awarded over 1130 grants for over $2,300,000 to the children and spouses of Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Army aircrew members.
The RRVA is an IRS 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization, eligible for Combined Federal Campaign contributions as well as charitable donations from private individuals and organizations. However, much of the program's funding continues to be from River Rat sponsored activities, members, and private donations. To participate in the Independent Charities of America (ICA) listed in Combined Federal Campaign (CFC Campaign #10510) the River Rat Scholarship Program is required to meet very stringent requirements.
1) Kinship Requirement: Scholarship grant recipients must be immediate dependent (legal son, daughter or spouse) of:
a) A U.S. aircrew member listed as Killed in Action (KIA) or Missing in Action (MIA) from any combat situation involving U.S. military from August 1964 (Vietnam Era) through the present; or
b) A military aircrew member killed as the result of performing aircrew duties during a non-combat mission; or
c) A RRVA member who is currently in good standing or was in good standing at the time of their death.
2) Kinship Not Required: To provide assistance in the education of persons in the fields related to aviation and space (Kinship to deceased aviator not required)
1. Selections are made on the basis of financial need, demonstrated academic achievement, college entrance examinations, and accomplishments in school, church, civic, and social activities.
2. The scholarship grants cover tuition, fees, books, room, and board.
3. Funds are sent directly to the student's college of choice for disbursement.
4. The primary intent of the RRVA Scholarship Grant program is to provide financial assistance primarily for full-time academic pursuits. However, on a case by case basis, financial support for part-time studies will be assessed.
5. RRVA funds are to be used for tuition, fees, books, supplies, room and board as set forth in the student's annual budget prepared by the FAA
6. The scholarship grant award will be an amount determined by the student’s demonstrated need, available funding, and priorities established by the RRVA and administered by the Scholarship Committee.
7. Scholarship grants are for one academic year—defined as starting with the Fall Semester (Aug/Sep) and ending after the next calendar year’s summer Session (Jul/Aug).
8. Requests for the scholarship grant applications may be made anytime during a given year. However, completed applications must be received not later than May 15th in order to be considered for scholarship assistance during that academic year. Applications received after the deadline will be refused.
9. All applicants are required to sign and abide by the RRVA Scholarship Agreement.
For a downloadable PDF version of the RRVA Scholarship Grant Application
click here. An application package may also be requested from:
Red River Valley Association
P.O. BOX 1553
Front Royal, VA 22630-0033
(540) 636-9776 Fax